My Simple Sukiyaki Recipe
My daughter wanted sukiyaki again. I didn’t like the taste of my previous sukiyaki as the taste of the sake was too strong. So today, I made a simpler and (to my family) a better tasting one. No sake involved.
What you need:
For the sukiyaki sauce: 1/2 cup soy sauce + 2 tablespoons sugar + 1 cup water + 2 tablespoons mirin seasoning (I used the Obento brand I found in the shops)
about 600 grams rump steak, sliced thinly (as thin as you can)
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cooking oil
about 1/4 – 1/3 head of Chinese cabbage, cut into 2-3 inches wide squares
spring onions (because I didn’t have scallions), cut into about 2-3 inches length
about 200 grams fresh enoki mushrooms, roots and dirty parts discarded; gently separate the heads into smaller bundles with your fingers
whole shiitake mushrooms (if you only have the dried variety, soak them in hot water until soft); discard the stems
piece of carrot, cut into thin rounds (make flower shape if you want them to look fancy)
silken firm tofu, cubed into desired size
rice vermicelli, softened in boiling water for about 2 minutes and then drained
What you need to do:
- In a bowl, combine all the sukiyaki sauce ingredients and set aside (if you want more liquid, just double the sauce recipe and add as needed while cooking later)
- Heat a wide and deep pan and put the cooking oil. Stir fry the beef until cooked, and slowly add the sugar (do not overcook so the beef remains tender). Push the cooked beef in one corner of your pan.
- Add the carrots, the tofu, the spring onions, softened shiitake, enoki and cabbage into the pan, gently grouping each together. Slowly pour the sauce In the same pan. Cover and bring to a boil. Once it boils, turn down the heat to simmer until all the ingredients are cooked.
- In individual big bowls, place your drained cooked vermicellin, add some of each of the ingredients that were cooked in thepan and then ladle some of the sauce.
- Sukiyaki is normally eaten with raw eggs, I know. I don’t 🙂 Enjoy.
- Posted in: Uncategorized